Firearms can be used not just to kill, but also to hunt and preserve food. In many countries, they’re also used for sport and gathering supplies like crafting tools and materials. Even in video games, firearms are used by all sorts of people in a variety of situations, from law enforcement officers and military personnel to gangsters and armies of robots. Owning guns has been a tradition with American families for generations, so it’s important to protect your family and yourself from accidental harm or potential danger.
You may have a lot of questions as a new gun owner, including:
- Are firearms inherently dangerous?
- Guns aren’t inherently dangerous. As with anything, however, there is a risk that misuse may cause injury, so safety has always been a top priority for shooters and firearms manufacturers. Whether you’re firing or carrying a gun or firearm, you need to know how to use it safely and comply with the laws of your state. It’s also important to understand that guns owned by civilians in the U.S. are intended to be used for sport shooting, target practice, and hunting — not committing crimes or harming people.
- How can I go about purchasing one legally?
- Depending on what state you live in, the process to purchase a gun legally can be a daunting task. The laws vary from state to state and may change depending on what type of weapon you’re looking for.
- The application process for buying a firearm is not simple and clear. Each state has its own specific rules applicable to you and the weapon you are looking to purchase. Do your research before deciding which weapon is right for you. A friendly employee will be able to help you through the process.
- Is it permissible to carry a firearm concealed?
- It is permissible to carry a handgun concealed if you have a license from your state to do so. The requirement to have a license varies by state, but in most states, you need to be of an age and meet the requirements of the To obtain a concealed carry permit you will need, at minimum, take a training class, pass a background check, submit fingerprints and pay all associated fees. You will want to contact your State or local government for specific questions on the application process. Some states even require that the handgun be registered in order for it to be legally carried concealed.
- Should I be concerned when I discover a pistol in the possession of someone I don’t know?
- You should be concerned if you find a pistol in the possession of someone you don’t know. But remember this: A pistol’s presence does not necessarily mean it is being used unlawfully. That’s because some people–law-abiding citizens like yourself–possess pistols for self-protection or target shooting. It’s their right under our federal and state constitutions to own firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns) for personal use. So while you should be concerned when you find a pistol in the possession of someone you don’t know, there are many more questions to ask in order to evaluate the situation at hand.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping a gun in my home?
- People disagree about whether guns should be in private homes. Some people think that keeping a gun in the home increases the chances of someone in the family being injured by the weapon. Others believe that guns make the home safer, because an armed person may stop a criminal from coming into the house.